Why Yoga Therapy
By learning how to breathe deeply, stay present, and open our minds to new healing possibilities, yoga can shine a bright light on our innate strengths and support us as we take baby steps to make new choices in our recovery. The results can be surprisingly empowering. I know because yoga has been the key to my recovery from anorexia. Based on my experiential knowledge and professional training as a yoga therapist, my goal is to teach you new tools that will help you get unstuck and moving forward.
What You Will Learn
- how to breathe deeply and calm your mind
- yoga poses to build mental and physical strength
- grounding techniques to get you through hard meals and moments
- yoga concepts that empower and offer new ways to think about your thoughts, actions, and body
- how to get comfortable in your body
- how to observe yourself instead of judge
- how to be present instead of trapped in "ED Head"
- the power of mantra and meditation
I get that it can feel scary to do or try yoga and be in your body. But I promise I will be there to guide you. No matter what you're thinking, feeling, or fearing, I've been there. I know your struggle because it's been my struggle. I am dedicated to creating a safe space for you to reconnect with your body in the most positive way possible so that you experience your body as a source of strength.
Benefits of Yoga Therapy
Everyone's experience with and goals for yoga and eating disorder recovery will be unique, but here is a list of some of the general benefits based on my own life, what clients have shared, and current research.
- improve overall sense of self
- quiet the eating disorder voice
- redefine the relationship with your body
- cultivate compassion and curiosity about your body
- explore moments of feeling comfortable in your body
- strengthen your self-expression
- reframe how and why we feed our bodies
- expand your world to be so much more than food, symptoms, and body image
- help manage depression and anxiety
- cultivate self-reliance
- increase self-worth
- enhance physical strength and health
- improve organ function
- calm the central nervous system
- establish new beliefs grounded in health versus disordered eating
- complement traditional forms of treatment and therapy
Yoga therapy is a holistic healing modality that restores physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. It is based on ancient yogic texts and modern medicine. Unlike a group yoga class, we will work together 1 x 1 in person or virtually. By focusing on lifestyle factors such as work, relationships, relaxation, movement, and thoughts, you will learn how to decrease stress, improve the quality of your life, and get unstuck in your recovery.
Our work together begins with a free 30-minute Discovery Call. During this time I will answer your questions about yoga and eating disorders and share specifics about my services. Our sessions will include a combination of
- yoga poses
- breathing exercises
- mental techniques
- lifestyle education
No two sessions are the same. We will work on what is important to you and will help you on that given day. Unlike how traditional therapy travels back in time to discover root causes, the goal of yoga therapy for eating disorders is to create tools and practices to help you address the here and now. Additionally, unlike traditional forms of treatment and therapy for eating disorders, we will not be narrowly focused on food or your specific symptoms. Instead, we will broaden the realm of recovery and healing beyond those topics to cultivate resilience and infuse your recovery with new energy, concepts, and motivation.
*Please note: You must be cleared for physical activity by your physician to participate.
*Basic yoga experience recommended but not required.
Schedule a free 30-minute discovery call
If you are curious about yoga therapy and how it can be helpful in your recovery and relationship with your body, let's connect on a free 30-minute discovery call. Whether you are new to yoga or are an experienced practitioner, there's so much to discover about how this practice can heal, empower, and offer new tools to support your ongoing relationship with your body and self. I will gladly answer all of your questions during our call, and we will discover the best way I can support you going forward.
schedule a free 30-minute discovery call:
If you are curious about yoga therapy and how it can be helpful in your recovery and relationship with your body, let's connect on a free 30-minute discovery call.